Friday 21 October 2011

Neupro Transdermal Parkinson's Patch Approved

A transdermal patch for early symptoms of Parkinson's disease has won FDA approval. 


The agent called Neupro represents both the first transdermal patch for Parkinson's and the first U.S. approval of any kind for the active ingredient, the dopamine agonist rotigotine, the agency announced.

The silicone-based patch delivers a measured dose of rotigotine, a nonergoline agent, over 24 hours.

According to the FDA, the effectiveness of Neupro was demonstrated in a fixed-dose response study and two flexible-dose studies. The parallel group randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled studies involved 1,154 patients with early Parkinson's who were not on other anti-Parkinson's agents.

The most commonly reported adverse events in clinical trials included patch-site skin reactions, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, drowsiness and insomnia. Other adverse events included narcolepsy-like sleep attacks, hallucinations, and postural hypotension.

In an open-label extension study of the patch, reported at the American Neurological Association meeting last October, the 137 patients on the active medication showed an immediate reduction in scores on the Unified Parkinson's Disease Rating Scale (UPDRS) of about seven points, and after six months that score remained four points below baseline.

At the end of the trial, the patients who had been on placebo and were then switched to the patch in the open-label extension phase showed an immediate drop in the Unified Parkinson's Disease Rating Scale scores, but as with the patients who continued on rotigotine, the scores slowly rose during the 85 week total length of the study, said Ray L. Watts, M.D., chairman of neurology at the University of Alabama at Birmingham.

In an early online release from the Jan. 23 issue of Neurology, Dr. Watts and colleagues reported that early-stage Parkinson's responded with significant relief of symptoms, compared with placebo, for at least six months with rotigotine, with acceptable side effects.

In the Neurology study, patients were randomly assigned to placebo (96 patients) or rotigotine (181 patients).

Rotigotine was started at a dose of 2 mg/24 hours (10-cm2 patch size; 4.5-mg total drug content), titrated weekly up to 6 mg/24 hour (30-cm2 patch size; 13.5-mg total drug content), and then maintained for six months.

The primary efficacy measures were change from baseline in the UPDRS parts II and III scores, and percentage of responders, defined as patients with at least a 20% improvement.

The authors found that patients receiving rotigotine had a mean absolute difference of 5.28 (+ 1.18) points lower in UPDRS subtotal scores compared with those receiving placebo (P<0.0001).

The largest contributor to the difference was the mean change in UPDRS part III motor score, which decreased by 3.50 points (+ 7.26).

Nearly half of all patients who received rotigotine (48%) had at least a 20% improvement in UPDRS score, compared with about 19% of patients on placebo (P<0.0001).

Adverse events included application-site reactions in 44% of patients on rotigotine versus 12% of those on placebo, nausea in 41% versus 17% respectively, somnolence in 33% of those on active drug versus 20% of those on placebo, and dizziness in 19% of those on rotigotine versus13% of controls.

Most of the side effects were mild or moderate in intensity. In all, 14% of patients on the active drug and 6% of those on placebo discontinued using the patch because of adverse events.

6 comments:

  1. Most people with Parkinson’s develop speech problems over the course of the illness.

    I am an SLP and together with a friend with MSA have developed a site for guidance in improving speech. Visit Speak Up! It deals with the challenge of providing on-going, intensive and cost-effective speech therapy through the course of the illness. www.parkinsonspeechhelp.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very much happy to share to every viewers that is reading this,I want to inform the whole public of how I got help for my herpes, I wanted this since 6 months ago, I have also taken treatment from some doctor,few weeks back I came on the net to see if I will be able to get any information as to cure my herpes, on my search I saw various testimony of people who was helped by a great man called Dr Akhigbe and without any hesitation, I contacted him, I wrote to him and and he guided me, I asked him for solutions and he started the remedies for me and indeed 3 weeks after I started using the medicine, I was completely happy as it worked for me.I went to the hospital for check up and indeed I was declared negative from my disease, and I also waited again for two weeks and went back to another hospital for check up to be fully sure and to my great surprise I was still declared negative, and I decided to share this great opportunity to those people out there fighting this sickness, You can contact him now for your medicine to cure your diseases, contact his Email; drrealakhigbe@gmail.com or Whatsapp +2348142454860. website. hpps:drrealakhigbe.weebly.com

    Dr Akhigbe also cure diseases like..
    HIV
    Herpes
    Cancer
    Chronic Disease
    Asthma
    Parkinson's disease
    External infection
    Als
    Nausea, Vomiting or Diarrhea
    Heart Disease
    Diabetes
    Kidney Disease
    Lupus
    Epilepsy
    Stroke
    Eczema
    Eating Disorder
    Back Pain. etc
    contact him for your solution.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My symptoms started at the age of 47. My fingers on my left hand were stiff and were difficult to move. People noticed that my walk was not normal. I was often asked did I hurt.I noticed nothing different about my walk. It was difficult getting up from a chair and getting out of a car. I was diagnosed a year later, it was the onset of tremors starting in my right hand that caused my other symptoms to be recognized as Parkinson's.I am now 59. With the new herbal medicine i purchase from totalcureherbalfoundation@gmail.com
    / totalcureherbalfoundation.blogspot.com was my only way to get fast relief from this PD,their herbal supplement effectively reverse my Parkinson's disease condition and alleviate all my symptoms. 

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sincerely i was so sad when my husband was diagnosed of Parkinsons disease 2 years ago, when he was 49. He had a stooped posture, tremors, right arm does not move and also a pulsating feeling in his body. He was placed on Senemet for 8 months and then Siferol was introduced and replaced the Senemet, during this time span he was also diagnosed with dementia. He started having hallucinations, lost touch with reality. Suspecting it was the medication I took him off the Siferol (with the doctor’s knowledge) and started him on PD natural herbal formula we ordered from Dr James, his symptoms totally declined over a 3 weeks use of the Dr James HERBAL Formula or Parkinsons disease natural herbal formula. He is now almost 51 and doing very well, the disease is totally reversed! my Husband was cured and now my Husband is free from Parkinsons, i went to the hospital that said there was no cure to Parkinsons and informed them about my Husband healing and they were surprised. here is the contact email ( jamesherbalformula@gmail.com ) also reach him on hangout or through his whatsapp number via +2348102574680 Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Life has not been easy for me, I am here to share the good news of my life, how I was cure through HSV2 by doc zubby who help me within 2 weeks with the help of his herbal medicine I am from United states of America, so this Great doctor sent me a herbal which I took according to the way he instructed, just to find out I am cure after taking the cure for 2 week I found this man email from the internet, how he also help a lady from the same sickness. I am so happy to be writing this testimony to the world because this man really clean the tears in my heart and he is a man of his words I want to use this means to inform those of us who’s doctor had told there is no cure, well here is the chance to get yourself cured from this horrible sickness you can get Dr zubby email via dr.zubbysolutionhome@gmail.com or you can also whatapp him +2348070673249 and the doctor also told me he can fix this sickenss also: 1. HIV / AIDS 2. HPV 3. CANCER 4. ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease) 5. Hepatitis B.;l.;';';'

    ReplyDelete

  6. My husband was diagnosed with early onset Parkinson's disease at 57.his symptoms were shuffling of feet,slurred speech, low volume speech, degradation of hand writing, horrible driving skills, right arm held at 45 degree angle, things were tough for me, but now he finally free from the disease with the help of total cure ultimate herbal clinic, he now walks properly and all symptoms has reversed, he had trouble with balance especially at night, getting into the shower and exiting it is difficult,getting into bed is also another thing he finds impossible.we had to find a better solution for his condition which has really helped him a lot,the biggest helped we had was ultimateherbalclinic they walked us through the proper steps,am highly recommended this www.ultimateherbalclinic.com to anyone who needs help.

    ReplyDelete